It’s summertime, so make your living and cooking easy! Cooking at home can be healthy, easier on your budget and a great way to bring the family together. Aim to increase the number of meals you cook each week.
Why not make it “taco time” once a week and involve the whole family? Begin with a trip to the local farmer’s market to pick up seasonal produce for building your taco meal. This is the season to add lots of fresh veggies, raw or grilled, to your daily meals!
Then select the perfect taco “wrap”. Consider:
Corn tortillas – Look for great extra thin, super soft variety on your grocer’s shelves. Two tortillas have only 80 calories and 1 gram fat!
Flour tortillas – Opt for whole grain varieties with less than 3 grams fat per tortilla.
Either tortilla variety can be heated on a skillet, electric griddle, grill or microwave. Simply follow heating direction of the package.
Put a platter of heated tortillas along with all the taco fillings in the center of your table and let everyone get creative with their tacos.
- Mix drained and rinsed canned black beans with grilled corn, your favorite salsa and minced cilantro. Top with chopped tomatoes and crumbled goat cheese.
- Top grilled shrimp and peppers with diced tomatoes, avocado and crumbled feta cheese.
- Go Veggie! Grill zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms and peppers. Top with your favorite 2% shredded cheese.
- Make it a salad – Toss shredded lettuce with diced hard cooked eggs, chopped ham, diced tomatoes and a low fat dressing.
- Leftover grilled or roasted chicken? Mix shredded chicken with chopped celery or radishes, halved grapes, shredded cabbage and a low fat ranch dressing.
- Grilling fish? Layer fish with a mixture of your favorite salsa, chopped fresh herbs, Greek yogurt and diced cucumbers.
- Old favorite – Taco-seasoned lean ground beef with chopped tomatoes, leafy greens and light sour cream or plain fat free Greek yogurt.
Anything Goes! Just keep it lean and light!!!
Need more help? You can schedule an individual Home Pantry Makeover and Grocery Store Tour with our dietitians. Contact us at 314-996-4987 for more information!