A Team Approach
At the Missouri Baptist Medical Center Heart Failure Center, we use a team approach to develop an individualized plan of care for you to manage your disease.
Heart failure—caused by a weakened heart muscle—can be difficult to treat and frightening to those who have the condition. The term heart failure can apply to a heart muscle that is weak, enlarged, and does not pump effectively. That’s why diagnosis, treatment, and management of heart failure requires the collaboration of a team of health care specialists.
Starting with your primary care physician your care may include: cardiologists, electrophysiologists (cardiologists who specialize in heart rhythm management), cardiac surgeons, and a nurse practitioner who specializes in heart failure. Together this team will develop and individualized plan to help you to manage your condition.
Daily tips to manage your condition
• Weigh yourself daily
• Monitor your blood pressure daily
• Limit your intake of salt
• Exercise at levels recommended by your physician
• Take your medications exactly as prescribed
• Maintain frequent visits with your physician
• Ask questions and make sure you fully understand all information
• If you smoke, please stop. Smoking makes the symptoms of CHF much worse.