Have hip problems been limiting your activities and causing you pain? Are you unable to walk comfortably or rest at night? If you're ready to get moving again, then we'll be with you every step of the way.
Our dedicated team of Joint Care professionals will help guide you through the entire process with only one goal: to get you 'On the Move' to a healthier you.
For more information on hip replacement surgery at Missouri Baptist, or to locate a specialist in our Joint Replacement Center, call 314-996-3627 or email us.
What is hip replacement surgery?
Hip replacement, also called total hip arthroplasty, is a surgical procedure to replace a worn out or damaged hip with an artificial joint (prosthesis). This surgery may be considered following a hip fracture (breaking of the bone) or for someone who has severe pain due to arthritis.
Hundreds of thousands of artificial hip replacement surgeries are performed yearly. Hip replacement may become necessary if activities such as walking, sitting, or even resting become painful.
The goal of hip replacement surgery is to replace the parts of the hip joint that have been damaged, and to relieve hip pain that cannot be controlled by other treatments.
Why choose Missouri Baptist?
- Faster Recovery. Missouri Baptist’s orthopedic surgeons redesigned the way care is delivered to improve patient outcomes and help you get better faster.
- Personalized Assessment & Private Class. You start with a comprehensive and personalized pre-surgical assessment and private class for you and your "coach" with a nurse practitioner, therapist and nurse. This team helps assure you are in the best health possible before surgery. The class is specifically tailored to you and your needs.
- Your recovery starts on Day 1, when our therapists have you up, walking and learning to use your new hip. Our accelerated therapy program has reduced the average length of your hospital stay by 30%, which gets you home sooner and back to doing all those things you like to do faster.
- Experience matters. Missouri Baptist surgeons perform more than 1,100 joint replacements each year. You are cared for by an entire team of joint replacement specialists working at your side to help you recover faster.
- U.S. News-ranked for high performance. Missouri Baptist is ranked among the top regional hospitals for high performance in orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report.
Who might be a candidate for hip replacement?
The most common condition that results in the need for hip replacement surgery is arthritis. Osteoarthritis, a degenerative, joint disease that affects mostly middle-aged and older adults, causes the loss of joint cartilage and adjacent bone in the hips. Rheumatoid arthritis, which causes inflammation of the synovial membrane (the lining of the joint) and results in excessive fluid, can lead to severe pain and stiffness. Traumatic arthritis, arthritis due to injury, can cause damage to the articular cartilage of the hip.
People with severe degenerative joint disease may be unable to perform normal activities that involve bending at the hip, such as walking or sitting, because they are painful.
Also, hip replacement is one method of treating a hip fracture. A fracture is a traumatic event that may result from a fall. Pain from a fracture is severe and walking or even moving the leg is difficult.
Other conditions that may cause hip joint degeneration and require hip replacement include infections and hip deformities.
The decision to replace the painful hip with an artificial one is a decision made by the patient and doctor. Other alternative treatments may first be used, see our 10 Steps Before Considering Surgery.
To locate a specialist in hip replacement surgery, or to schedule an appointment, call MoBap at 314-996-3627 or email us.