Has your knee pain kept you from doing all the things you used to take for granted, like taking a walk with a friend or playing golf? If you are ready to get moving again, then we'll be with you every step of the way.
Our dedicated team of Joint Care professionals will help guide you through the entire process with only one goal: to get you moving again.
For more information on knee replacement surgery, or to locate a surgeon in our Joint Replacement Center, call MoBap at 314-996-3627 or email us.
Why have knee replacement surgery?
Knee replacement surgery relieves pain and restores function to a severely damaged knee by replacing it with an artificial joint made of metal alloys, high-grade plastics and polymers. During the surgery, your surgeon removes worn-down bone and cartilage and replaces it with an artificial knee joint that replicates your knee’s natural rolling and gliding motion. Your surgeon will select the type of artificial knee that best matches your age, weight and activity level.
Today, knee replacement is one of the safest and most successful types of major surgery; in about 90% of cases it is complication-free and can result in significant pain relief and restoration of mobility.
Why choose Missouri Baptist?
- Faster Recovery. Missouri Baptist’s orthopedic surgeons redesigned the way care is delivered to improve patient outcomes and help you get better faster.
- Personalized Assessment & Private Class. You start with a comprehensive and personalized pre-surgical assessment and private class for you and your "coach" with a nurse practitioner, therapist and nurse. This team helps assure you are in the best health possible before surgery. The class is specifically tailored to you and your needs.
- Your recovery starts on Day 1, when our therapists have you up, walking and learning to use your new knee. Our accelerated therapy program has reduced the average length of your hospital stay by 30%, which gets you home sooner and back to doing all those things you like to do faster.
- Experience matters. Missouri Baptist surgeons perform more than 1,100 joint replacements each year. You are cared for by an entire team of joint replacement specialists working at your side to help you recover faster.
- U.S. News-ranked for high performance. Missouri Baptist is ranked among the top regional hospitals for high performance in orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report.
Who might be a candidate for knee replacement?
The most common condition that results in the need for knee replacement surgery is osteoarthritis, a degenerative, joint disease that affects mostly middle-aged and older adults. Osteoarthritis is characterized by the breakdown of joint cartilage and adjacent bone in the knees. Other forms of arthritis, such as rheumatoid arthritis and arthritis that results from a knee injury can also lead to degeneration of the knee joint. In addition, fractures, torn cartilage, and/or torn ligaments also can lead to irreversible damage to the knee joint over the years.
The decision to replace the painful knee with an artificial one is a joint decision between you and your doctor. Other alternative treatments may first be used, (see our 10 Steps Before Considering Surgery).
To locate a specialist in knee replacement surgery, or to schedule an appointment, call MoBap at 314-996-3627 or email us.