1878 - William H. Mayfield, MD, comes to St. Louis to study surgery at St. Louis Medical College (which became part of Washington University School of Medicine in 1891).
1884 - Dr. Mayfield and his wife open their three-story brick home at 1914 N. 11th Street, to his first patient. Word of Dr. Mayfield's work attracts patients from around the region. Neither Dr. nor Mrs. Mayfield draw a salary for their work.
1886 - To accommodate the growing number of patients, Dr. Mayfield rents the large brick Dausman Mansion and its grounds at 909 North Taylor. He opens it as an annex to his hospital, and by 1887 most patient care is transferred. With support from the Third Baptist Church of St. Louis and the Baptist Ministers Alliance, the hospital is formally chartered "Missouri Baptist Sanitarium."
1892 - A typhoid fever epidemic hits St. Louis. Missouri Baptist initiates a horse and carriage ambulance service.
1894 - The first staff is named; includes many noted St. Louis physicians and surgeons
1895 - Missouri Baptist Nursing Training School opens. Nursing students of the day were expected to work 10 hours a day in addition to their studies.
1897 - The first class graduates from Missouri Baptist Nursing Training School; there are three graduates.
1900 - Annual report lists 818 patients treated: 488 medical cases, 330 surgical, 14 babies born.
1903 - Missouri Baptist purchases its first X-ray machine, adds X-ray department
1905 -Missouri Baptist builds its own electric power station; purchases 12-room house at 4529 MacMillan Avenue to house its nurses
1908 - Missouri Baptist builds a bacteriology and chemical laboratory, one of the first in the nation
1909 - Physicians are added to the medical staff; rooms for patients are opened
1915 - Hospital invests $192,526 in a new sanitarium annex at 919 N. Tayor Avenue, adjoining the mansion, which became the maternity ward. Additional services offered; Missouri Baptist purchases a motorized ambulance.
1918 - During World War I, seven Missouri Baptist physicians and forty nurses volunteer with the Red Cross serving at stateside and overseas military bases. Spanish Influenza hits St. Louis; a total of 3,641 St. Louisans die.
1919 - Missouri Baptist hires its first dietitian
1920 - Missouri Baptist physicians endorse the “St. Louis Plan” to cut down on automobile accidents; the program receives national attention
1923 - A pediatric area is opened in response to the findings of the Central States Pediatric Society; Missouri Baptist is fully accredited by the Missouri State Hospital Association and the American Protestant Hospital Association
1924 - Missouri Baptist purchases a cardiograph; the first occupational therapist is added to the staff
1925 - Missouri Baptist hires their first social worker to keep in touch with patients leaving the Hospital
1926 - Physical therapy is initiated Missouri Baptist using light, heat, water and electricity, massage and traction to treat disease
1929 - The Hospital’s name is changed to Missouri Baptist Hospital; the bone and joint center opens
1931 - Two sections of the Hospital close due to low patient numbers and the Great Depression; Baptist churches give food and money to support the hospital during Hospital Day
1937 - Missouri Baptist purchases a 200,000-volt X-ray machine to treat cancer patients
1938 - Missouri Baptist Nursing students score first, second, and third on the state exam; the Hospital receives a fever cabinet, vasculator, infant respirator, and nose-and-throat operating chair
1941 - Fifteen physicians and fifteen nurses enlist after the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor
1944 - The entire graduating class from Missouri Baptist Nursing School enlists; the Hospital uses nurses’ aids and volunteers
1947 - The pathology lab is updated to include a blood bank
1949 - Missouri Baptist is approved by the American College of Surgeons
1952 - The 40-hour workweek is instituted at the Hospital
1954 - Another building addition is completed that includes a psychiatric unit and postoperative recovery rooms; an outpatient clinic on Washington Avenue also is opened
1955 - Missouri Baptist pharmacy achieves a perfect score from the Missouri Board of Pharmacy.
1958 - Missouri Baptist receives an award from Hug A. Logan of the United Fund.
1959 - A 28-bed unit for the ambulatory chronically ill opens; Missouri Baptist celebrates its 75th anniversary, featuring plans for a new Hospital.
1965 - Medical facilities relocate to current location
1972 - East Wing expansion increases capacity and adds new areas for emergency care, outpatient treatment, surgery and radiology
1979 - West Wing expansion includes a new oncology unit, surgical intensive care unit, and respiratory therapy and pulmonary departments
1983 - Cardiologists perform the first heart catheterizations at Missouri Baptist
1984 - A cardiac surgery team is developed; the first open-heart surgery is performed December 3
1989 - Hospital changes name to Missouri Baptist Medical Center
1993 -- Renovations add 15-room surgery center, medical and surgical intensive-care units and a dedicated Heart Center
1994 -- Missouri Baptist Medical Center joins BJC HealthCare, St. Louis’ largest health care system
2000 -- Renovations include the Cardiac and Vascular Center; Missouri Baptist School of Nursing graduates its final class after 105 years of operation
2001 -- Missouri Baptist Medical Center joins the world’s largest prostate cancer prevention study
2002 - Building D opens with new Outpatient Cardiac Cath Lab, Digestive Disease Center, Breast Healthcare Center, Center for Women’s Wellness and Fetal Health, and Labor and Delivery Unit
2007 - Missouri Baptist purchases robotic surgical unit, the da Vinci System, for its prostate cancer program; East Pavilion opens on the southeast corner of the campus with new Emergency Department, Pediatric Emergency Department, Pediatric Care Center, Cancer Center and cardiovascular care area; introduces physician triage process to the new Emergency Department
Ranked #2 in the Region • #5 in State
High performing in COPD, Hip Replacement and Knee Replacement