Missouri Baptist Medical Center (MoBap) values the importance of engaging our nurses in decisions impacting their practice and the patient care environment. Through a variety of unit-based and hospital-wide nursing and interprofessional teams, nurses can partner with one another and the leadership team to help make decisions about their practice environment and professional development.
Our Shared Governance Councils empower our nurses to discuss topics and make decisions influencing their practice as they identify problems and work towards solutions. The premise of our structure is to allow a platform for our nurses to have a strong voice in the decisions that impact their practice, promoting autonomy as professional nurses. In addition to professional empowerment, NSG supports:
- Advanced professional practice and autonomy
- Improved nurse satisfaction
- Promoting a healthy work environment
- Achieving high-quality patient and family-centered care that is culturally relevant
Nursing Shared Governance (NSG) is the shared governance structure for nursing at Missouri Baptist Medical Center. NSG includes the Nurse Executive Council (NEC), the bi-directional “toll-gate” for discussing nursing process opportunities. Issues brought to NEC come from various teams such as nursing leadership and frontline staff. Cascading from NEC includes:
- Nursing Practice and Informatics Council
- Professional Development Council
- Nurse Quality and Safety Council
- Advanced Research and EBP Council
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) Council
- Unit Nursing Shared Governance Councils
The NSG Structure at Missouri Baptist provides a way to ensure all MoBap nurses have a voice.